Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lock And Key

I usually LOVE Sarah Dessen books, this one however fell a little short. You know form the start that Ruby's mother has run off, leaving her to live by herself, and when she gets caught living in a rat hole, she is sent to live with her estranged sister that she hasn't seen in ten years. It seemed sort of as though there was just some essence missing in this story. I mean I really liked Ruby's sister Cora, and Cora's husband Jamie, I even liked the (obvious) love interest Nate. I think it was Ruby who I didn't like all that much. I think it was how she just didn't seem believable whenever Ruby was trying to be bad. It seemed off I guess, whenever it talked about Ruby's past or when she was in situations that involved sex, drugs, or alcohol. It was that and also how Jamie and Cora seemed to kind of let Ruby do whatever she pleased, and even when they DID set down rules, it seemed like she found ways of getting around them. I have started to see a theme in most Sarah Dessen books, and that is the one of the wealthy messed up society kid. In every story of her's I've read the main girl is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS either well of or even more then that. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it just didn't work as well in this book. Overal grade...B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment